Former Swiss Guard to Speak on Leadership
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (October 18, 2011) - When Pope John Paul II exited his residence on Christmas Eve in 1986, a homesick 20-year-old Swiss Guard with a tear-stained face was stationed outside his door. The Holy Father embraced him, sensing that it was the new guard's first Christmas away from his family. The young man was Andreas Widmer, and the encounter was the first of the many between the two men that now form the basis for Widmerís book, The Pope and the CEO: John Paul IIís Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard.
Widmer will speak at Franciscan University of Steubenville on Thursday, November 10, at 7:00 p.m. in the Tony and Nina Gentile Gallery of the J.C. Williams Center. In his talk, he will share how one-on-one discussions with John Paul helped him become an effective leader and eventually led him to a successful career as an entrepreneur and businessman. The talk is free and open to the public.
Says Widmer, ďJohn Paul's influence made me understand that business and faith go together. The free market and Christianity are not opposed to each other. Business can be a wonderful school of virtue and faith, [and those two things] make a business and the economy truly prosperous."
Widmer is a co-founder of the SEVEN Fund (Social Equity VENture Fund), a philanthropic organization run by entrepreneurs who invest in original research, books, films, and Web sites to devise solutions to poverty. He holds multiple business degrees in addition to a master's degree in ministry from St. John's Seminary in Boston. Widmer regularly blogs about faith-based initiatives and business solutions for poverty at www.faithandprosperity.com.
Widmerís lecture is the latest presentation in Franciscan University's Distinguished Speakers Series, which features leaders recognized for exemplary service to the Church and society. This lecture is co-sponsored by Emmaus Road Publishing and Franciscan University's Center for Leadership.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu/DistinguishedSpeakersSeries OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Andreas Widmer, Swiss Guard, The Pope and the CEO
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Employment Opportunities with the LA Archdiocese
- Marriage and Family at the Forefront of Social Science Conference
- New books and key experts available in time for October Synod on Marriage and Family
- Franciscan University Reacts to Latest HHS Mandate Ruling
- Former Polish Prime Minister to Speak on Legacy of St. John Paul II
- Divine Mercy Drama Comes to Washington, DC
- Gospel of Mark ó Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way
- CatholicTV Launches 2.0 of iOS app, Android 2.0 to soon follow