CIA agents told to 'stand down' during Benghazi attack
Request for military help was continually denied, according to Fox News
In a shocking development in the deadly Benghazi attack last September 11, that left four U.S. officials dead, Fox News has learned that former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, who along with a small team near the consulate during the attack was repeatedly denied military help.
An urgent request for military back-up during the attack on the U.S. was reportedly denied by U.S. officials, who told the CIA operators twice to 'stand down' rather than help the ambassador's team after shots were heard at approximately 9:40 p.m. in Benghazi on Sept. 11.
An urgent request made by Woods for military back-up during the attack on the U.S. was reportedly denied by U.S. officials, who told the CIA operators twice to "stand down" rather than help the ambassador's team after shots were heard at approximately 9:40 p.m. in Benghazi on Sept. 11.
When Woods and others heard the shots fired, they informed their higher-ups at the annex to tell them what they were hearing and requested permission to go to the consulate to assist. They were told to "stand down," according to sources familiar with the exchange. They were shortly afterwards told to "stand down."
Woods and at least two others ignored the orders and made their way to the consulate, which was now engulfed in flames. Shots were exchanged, while the rescue team from the CIA annex evacuated those who remained at the consulate along with Sean Smith, who had been killed in the initial attack. Woods and his team could not find the ambassador and returned to the CIA annex at about midnight.
Woods and his team called again for military support and help because they were taking fire at the CIA safe house, or annex - which was denied.
In constant radio contact with their headquarters, at least one member of the team was on the roof of the annex manning a heavy machine gun when mortars were fired at the CIA compound.
The security officer had a laser on the target that was firing and repeatedly requested back-up support from a Spectre gunship, which is commonly used by U.S. Special Operations forces to provide support to Special Operations teams on the ground involved in intense firefights.
Hostilities and gunfire went on at the CIA annex for more than four hours, which was enough time for any planes based in Sigonella Air base, just 480 miles away, to arrive.
In a related development, a Special Operations team, or CIF which stands for Commanders in Extremis Force, operating in Central Europe had been moved to Sigonella, Italy, but were never told to deploy. A Pentagon official says there were never any requests to deploy assets from outside the country.
A second force that specializes in counter terrorism rescues was on hand at Sigonella, according to senior military and intelligence sources and could have flown to Benghazi in less than two hours. They were the same distance to Benghazi as those that were sent from Tripoli.
Ambassador Stevens was in Benghazi that day to be at the opening of an English-language school being started by the Libyan farmer who helped save an American pilot who had been shot down by pro-Qaddafi forces during the initial war to overthrow the regime. That farmer saved the life of the American pilot and the ambassador wanted to be present to launch the Libyan rescuer's new school.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Benghazi, 9/11 attack, CIA, coverup, wrongdoing, Italy, Libya
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- E.W. Jackson Wins Nomination as Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Virginia
- News to ruin your morning: IRS official who targeted conservatives for audit now oversees your Obamacare compliance
- Culture of Corruption, Obama pays Sarah Ingram extra for her harassment of conservatives
- Culture of Corruption: Why Obama's misuse of Marines is wrong
- Rubio: Obama's intimidation of tea party groups 'not in isolation'
- Editorial: Is the Scandal Ridden Obama Administration Becoming a House of Cards?
- Obama asks for more money, Marines to protect embassies
- President stands ground against Republican critics
- Eric Holder says he will investigate the IRS for Obama
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?