Amid hearings Libya gets new ambassador
Obama administration refused pleas for help.
The US has a new diplomat in Libya to assume the role of former Ambassador Chris Stevens who was killed in September 11 during a terrorist attack on the embassy. Laurence Pope is the temporary ambassador to Libya now.
A month after the attacks, witness were called to testify before the House oversight committee.
Meanwhile, a hearing in the House, led by the Republican dominated House oversight committee, accused the government of ignoring pleas for assistance from the embassy in the weeks before the attacks.
The hearing revealed that the Obama administration as warned that the security at the embassy was dangerously understaffed and that State Department officials deliberately prevented upscaling of security there.
The State Department has also acknowledged that the events were not the result of a film protest gone violent, but were part of a more concerted effort - a terrorist attack.
Meanwhile, Democrats contend Republicans are playing up the significance of the terrorist attack which took the life of an Ambassador and three US Marines. --As if it were possible to play up such an attack.
Republicans say it is inappropriate to delay discussion just because of the upcoming election.
Benghazi has been the epicenter of a number of attacks conducted by militias and extremists. Many in the know speculated that it was only a matter of time before the embassy was attacked, therefore they requested further security.
It is unclear why the Obama administration refused the requests.
Regardless, the administration made a grave mistake in the face of compelling evidence and the pleas of the embassy staff. The congressional hearings will determine if further actions should be taken to ensure such situations are not repeated.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obama, embassy, Stevens, ambassador, terror, attacks, hearings
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?