Austerity? What austerity? Obama pays bonuses.
Almost half-billion in bonuses paid to government employees in 2011.
Many Americans still struggle to find work, or to make do with what they have, but Obama has still managed to pay federal employees $430 million in bonuses. It must be a nice to be a high-ranking federal employee these days.
Meanwhile fiscal conservatives are blasting the president for paying out bonuses in a time of fiscal austerity.
Grant Cardone, a conservative commentator said, "This is the same president that criticized the banks for distributing bonuses when they were under - some of them involuntarily - government support. Federal employees are already overpaid and coddled with pensions and a variety of benefits.... How many roads could have been fixed or people put to work with this money?"
Meanwhile the Obama administration has defended the bonuses, saying they were for merit pay and incentives for employees who did good work. Moira Mack, from the Office of Budget and Management said the administration has already made cuts to federal bonuses. "the Administration eliminated bonuses for all political appointees, directed agencies to adopt more rigorous personnel management processes, and set a cap to reduce spending on awards for career staff, saving taxpayers an estimated $200 million this year alone."
She said the savings over the next decade would amount to more than $3 billion.
However, federal employees still enjoy high average salaries and generous benefits packages at a time when the private sector continues to cut back. Many of those employees are also eligible for overtime, which can add to their income.
The Secret Service was also noted as giving out $6 million in bonuses which averaged out to $901 for each agent. For many Americans, that would be 1-2 week's pay.
Although people may be upset at the added government spending during a time of fiscal austerity, the situation does not appear headed for reversal. A freeze in pay rates enacted for 2011 was not extended for 2012.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Francis, Human Dignity and Culture: Time for a Radical Christian Action Movement
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Gap between rich and poor: Income gap threatens U.S. 'way of life,' Obama says
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?