Romney picks up steam against Obama
Romney campaign keeping even with Obama in contributions.
In another sign that Romney is nipping close at Obama's heels, Romney's campaign generated $40.1 million in April, almost as much as Obama raised during the same time. Fundraising is crucial as experts now believe the election will be close and decided by voters in a few battleground states.
In April, the Obama campaign reported raising $43.6 million. Obama also has a tremendous head start. Such is the advantage of being an incumbent, primary challenges are rare, and it's easier to raise and save funds when there's no risk of opposition.
Although Obama has the advantage in cash, that advantage may evaporate as the campaign heats up over the summer. Romney has a great knack for fundraising and he is gaining in public opinion polls. At the moment, Romney is in a virtual tie for a win in November.
Still, the Democrats have one secret weapon, which Republicans are yet to match - their use of technology. Last year, Catholic Online reported that the Obama campaign was using (not so) secret databasing technology to increase campaign efficiency. Republicans are still yet to catch up. Obama even has an app for that. Romney? Not yet.
Still, Romney is expected to make a strong bid for the presidency. Many Americans want better leadership in the White House and they expect Romney will deliver. And this isn't just rhetoric, for as the numbers prove, they are willing to put their money where their mouths are.
The question for Romney then is, how fast can he get the money and put it to work for America?
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Why America's Catholics Need an Apocalypse
- Surveillance is 'setting fire' to the Internet, whistle blower Snowden says
- INTERNET TAKEOVER: Senator introduces bill to prevent online takeover from U.N., or foreign power
- Huckabee: 'If this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us'
- Russia seeks access to new facilities for navy: Is a new Cold War ahead?
- Bill that would allow surprise inspections at abortion clinics close to approval in Arizona
- UN: Almost 10,000 incidents of school violence from 2009-2013
- Syria, Venezuela, North Korea and Uganda called out by U.S. State Department for human rights abuses
- Citing 'negative consequences,' Arizona Governor vetoes anti-gay bill
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?